- Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:41:34 +0000: High court orders suspension of Ikata 3 operation - Root
A Japanese high court has today overruled a lower court decision that allowed Shikoku Electric Power Company to continue operating unit 3 of its Ikata nuclear power plant in Ehime Prefecture. Ikata 3 is one of five units that have so far restarted since Japan took all its operable reactors offline for safety checks following the March 2011 accident at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.
- Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:37:29 +0000: Harmony vision presented in Brussels - Root
World Nuclear Association yesterday presented its Harmony programme to members of Foratom, the Brussels-based trade association for the nuclear energy industry in Europe. Harmony is the nuclear industry vision for the future of electricity and how nuclear energy can help the world achieve its 2-degree climate target.
- Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:28:48 +0000: Multi-agency safety exercise for Canadian plant - Root
Ontario Power Generation and over 30 partner organisations have completed Exercise Unified Control, a two-day, large-scale emergency preparedness exercise at the Pickering nuclear power plant. The exercise is part of the lead-up to the relicensing of the plant in 2018.
- Wed, 13 Dec 2017 16:19:18 +0000: Grand Canyon uranium mining ban remains - Root
A 20-year ban on the mining of uranium near the Grand Canyon has been upheld by the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. The court ruling effectively confirmed that the ban is lawful and the government has the power to impose it.
- Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:05:13 +0000: High support for nuclear among Polish citizens - Root
Around two-thirds of Poles believe the construction of a nuclear power plant in the country is a good way to combat climate change, according to a survey commissioned by the Polish Energy Ministry. A similar proportion support the construction of power reactors to increase the country's energy security.
- Tue, 12 Dec 2017 17:31:28 +0000: World Bank to end financing oil and gas projects - Root
The World Bank Group has announced that it will no longer finance upstream oil and gas, after 2019. It was one of several moves announced by the group at the One Planet Summit held in Paris today.
- Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:26:37 +0000: Akkuyu construction formally starts - Root
Turkey has formally launched construction of its first nuclear power plant with the pouring of concrete for the sub-base foundation of the nuclear island. A ceremony held at the Akkuyu nuclear power plant site to mark the launch on 10 December, followed the issuance of a limited construction permit.
- Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:20:00 +0000: Restructuring changes Inkai ownership - Root
A restructuring of the Inkai joint venture between Cameco and KazAtomProm has closed and will take effect on 1 January, the companies announced yesterday. The restructuring will see KazAtomProm increase its share in the joint venture, which owns and operates the Inkai in-situ leach uranium project in southern Kazakhstan, to 60%.
- Tue, 12 Dec 2017 14:57:07 +0000: Korean research reactor resumes operation - Root
The Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute has restarted the 30 MWt High-flux Advanced Neutron Application Reactor (Hanaro), which has been offline for the past three-and-a-half years. During this period, the reactor has undergone safety upgrades.
- Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:38:06 +0000: Iter fusion project passes construction milestone - Root
Construction of the Iter fusion reactor, being built at Cadarache in the south of France, is now 50% complete, the Iter Organisation has announced. The reactor - construction of which began in 2010 - is scheduled to achieve first plasma in 2025.