- Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:49:56 +0000: Nuclear an 'unconditional part' of green energy balance - Root
Nuclear power has an essential role to play in achieving a 'carbon free' future, Rosatom deputy director-general Kirill Komarov said yesterday during the Expo-2017 conference in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:40:46 +0000: TVO gains further award in Olkiluoto arbitration - Root
Finnish utility Teollisuuden Voima Oyj has been awarded a second final and binding partial award in the ongoing arbitration proceedings related to delays in the construction of the first-of-a-kind EPR unit at Olkiluoto. It follows the granting of a partial award to TVO last November.
- Thu, 20 Jul 2017 14:44:20 +0000: UK sees steady income from decommissioning work - Root
The UK's Nuclear Decommissioning Authority received more than GBP1.0 billion ($1.3 billion) of commercial income in the 2016/2017 financial year, which it says reduced the "net impact on the public purse" to GBP2.2 billion. According to its annual report and accounts, published yesterday, the exact figure was GBP1.025 billion, which was down from GBP1.094 billion in 2015/2016. Around 85% of its income, GBP612 million, came from the reprocessing and management of used fuel and waste.
- Thu, 20 Jul 2017 14:18:17 +0000: Ghanaian research reactor now set to run on LEU - Root
The conversion of Ghana's research reactor to run on low-enriched uranium (LEU) instead of highly-enriched uranium (HEU) has been completed. It is the first of five such Chinese-supplied reactors outside of China to be converted.
- Wed, 19 Jul 2017 16:15:50 +0000: First criticality achieved at Fuqing 4 - Root
Unit 4 of the Fuqing nuclear power plant in China's Fujian province achieved a sustained chain reaction for the first time on 16 July, China National Nuclear Corporation announced yesterday. The unit is expected to enter commercial operation later this year.
- Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:37:37 +0000: Lawsuits against Illinois legislation dismissed - Root
A federal judge has dismissed two lawsuits seeking an invalidation of the State of Illinois' zero emission credit program. Introduced last year as part of the states' Future Energy Jobs bill, the program provides financial support to Exelon's Quad Cities and Clinton nuclear power plants.
- Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:58:55 +0000: NRC approves safety platform for NuScale SMR - Root
The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has concluded that the highly integrated protection system (HIPS) platform developed for NuScale Power's small modular reactor is acceptable for use in plant safety-related instrumentation and control systems.
- Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:48:48 +0000: USA to launch advanced manufacturing centre - Root
Concurrent Technologies Corp plans to launch a Centre for Advanced Nuclear Manufacturing to fill the "critical gap" that exists in providing proven applied advanced manufacturing technologies in the emerging field of small modular reactors and advanced reactors.
- Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:37:11 +0000: SNC-Lavalin and Holtec team up on SMR development - Root
The USA's Holtec International has signed a teaming agreement with Canada's SNC-Lavalin to collaborate in the development of Holtec's SMR-160 small modular reactor.
- Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:36:37 +0000: UK needs more nuclear for low-carbon future, says National Grid - Root
The UK needs to build 14.5 GWe of new nuclear capacity by 2035 or it will fail to meet the Two Degrees scenario, National Grid says in the annual update of its Future Energy Scenarios it published yesterday. The report also suggests that national electricity demand could peak at 85 GWe by 2050, compared with around 60 GWe today. National Grid is the private company which runs Britain's high-voltage electricity network.